Some major upsets this past week in the opening round of the WCWS. A back and forth game between unranked James Madison and No. 1 Oklahoma last night led to the second win in a row, and third in this postseason, for JMU. This current round is double-elimination, and we hope to see some new faces make it to the final round this year.
As a first-time attendee of the WCWS, JMU has shown up! Not only did they crush the Super Regionals, but they are also now making their name known for beating the number 1 ranked team in the country right now. This next game should be a piece of cake for them, playing a lower-ranked team and coming off a hot win last night.
Here’s this weekend’s schedule:
Friday, June 4th (Winner’s Bracket)
- Game 1: JMU vs. OSU (5) at 7 pm on ESPN2*
- Game 2: Alabama (3) vs. UCLA (2) at 9:30 pm on ESPN2
Saturday, June 5th (Elimination Bracket)
- Game 3: OU (1) vs. Georgia at 12:00 pm on ESPN*
- Game 4: Arizona (11) vs. FSU (10) at 2:30 pm on ESPN
- Game 5: Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 3 at 7 pm on ESPN
- Game 6: Winner of Game 2 vs. Winner of Game 4 at 9:30 pm on ESPN
Sunday, June 6
- Game 2 (Best of 3) for Game 5 at 1 pm on ESPN
- Game 2 (Best of 3) for Game 6 at 3:30 pm on ESPN
- IF NECESSARY
- Game 3 (Best of 3) for Game 5 at 7 pm on ESPN
- Game 3 (Best of 3) for Game 6 at 9:30 pm on ESPN
With big hopes in store for JMU, their game on Friday night is one to watch. They have been excelling in this postseason and hopefully, they can make it to game 1 of the WCWS in OKC on Monday. We also see another unranked team making their way through the fight, beating No. 4 ranked Florida last week in the Supers. Georgia will be expected to play a better and stronger game, as this bracket is win or go home. OU has now been beaten by an unranked team, will it happen again tomorrow?
Keep your eye on these scores and the last four days of the 2021 WCWS. The final three games will begin on June 6th at 7:30 pm on ESPN.